– review reading strategies (e.g., self-monitoring, sequencing, summarizing, questioning, analysing, evaluating)
– read poetry, scripts, picture books, graphic novels, short stories, non-fiction reports, and novels and use critical thinking skills to generate high-level questions and formulate effective responses
– present book reports using different formats
– conduct literary analysis of children’s books using depth and complexity icons
– review types of writing (e.g., descriptive, narrative, expository, persuasive)
– write a variety of pieces and apply the writing process in order to create a finished and polished product
– review language conventions in paragraphs, correct errors, refine expression, and present work effectively
– proofread and edit a variety of written pieces considering appropriate vocabulary, punctuation and grammar
Students will speak with clarity and coherence and will use appropriate tone, pitch and volume when presenting to the class. Students will also demonstrate their attentive listening skills by listening with purpose.
Students will identify some media forms and explain how the conventions and techniques associated with them are used to create meaning.